If he runs for the seat, theres no doubt that the DNC will put a ton of money into VA. They would not want their current head of the party to lose and election.
Going to a dinner in Wytheville this saturday, it's for Boucher, but Warner and Kaine are going to be there...and since I've read Kaine is supposed to announce his decision by the end of this week, I assume he might do it at this event.
If he runs for the seat, theres no doubt that the DNC will put a ton of money into VA. They would not want their current head of the party to lose and election.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
Head of their party? Chairman's are not the head of any party, they're head of fundraising within the party, but that's it..Obama would be the head of the party, Boehner head of his and so on. But there will be a ton of money put into that election, only because they do not want to lose that seat they controlled before. I'd say there's about an 85-90% chance he'll be running, I don't know if he'll announce it there, hope he does though.
Technicality. How about if I said, head of the party who doesnt currently hold an office. Would that make you feel better?
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
Ha I mean I'm just saying, he's a face within the committee and the head of the committee fundraising...he's not close to the head of the party. But it's not really a pride thing because of that or makes it a bigger election because he was the chairman. Gilmore was the chairman of the RNC, , Steele wasn't anything close to the head of the party, even HW wasn't when he was the chairman forever ago...how many people know who Reince Priebus is right now? Works the same in the dem. party, would you have said Terry McAuliffe was a head of the party any point in time? Joe Andrew? Unless you're involved in the party or on the DNC mailing list, hell most don't even know Kaine is the chairman.
Kaine should win easily IMO, I said it right after Webb retired, if he runs it's his to lose...not so with any others though, it'd be a tossup. Kaine has statewide recognition, he was liked as a governor, last thing anyone remembers about Allen is his history of. racism. His championing of SOL's should be brought to light too.
Like I said, technicality. I think you knew what I meant obviously.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
I know what you meant, but I don't agree with it making it a bigger election than it is. Though it is a HUGE election.
Well nothing was announced at that dinner last week, though it was the talk and Boucher himself urged him to run when he spoke - so Boucher for sure isn't running and I'm about 99% sure Kaine is. I told him and Boucher that I hope to vote for him next year, Boucher said he doesn't know what he'll do but will be deciding soon...Kaine just smiled and said thanks, actually had a good convo with him, real nice guy. Spoke to Warner for a bit too, but he was out of there fast. Creigh Deeds was there, didn't get a chance to meet him, he left really early too...wanted to meet him so bad. Of course State Senator Puckett was there, but another surprise guest was Tom Periello, the other one that lost in VA this past go around...real nice guy too, was REALLY young. I knew he looked very young, but didn't really know, looked it up when I got home and he's just 36.
IMO it's Kaines to lose, he's the clear favorite as I've said before and I couldn't say that if it was someone else. It'd look so horrible having Allens racist ass in there, with McDonnells and Cuccinelli's antics, it's set our image back so much and he'd be a nail in the coffin.
WASHINGTON (CNN) - At a DNC fundraiser in Harlem, Barack Obama all but endorsed outgoing DNC chair and former Virginia governor Tim Kaine for U.S. Senate ? a decision Kaine has not yet made (or at least announced).
While many have speculated Kaine will go ?plunging back into the hurly-burly of electoral politics,? as Obama described it, so far the DNC chair has only coyly said he is likely to run for the seat being vacated by Sen. Jim Webb (D).
"I don't know if those rumors are true, but what I do know is that I cannot imagine someone who has been a better partner to me, a better friend,? Obama said, according to a pool report. ?Should he choose to do so, he would be an outstanding senator for the commonwealth of Virginia."
Perhaps this pre-endorsement is some kind of quid pro quo. After all, Kaine, then Virginia?s Governor (and superdelegate), was one of Obama's earliest supporters after the Illinois senator launched his long shot campaign against Hillary Clinton.
?I've often said, even better than being a part of a historical" campaign is "the opportunity to play a small part in a transformative presidency," Kaine said of Obama at the $1.5 million fundraiser.
If Kaine were to receive his party's nomination, he would likely face former Virginia Governor and U.S. Senator George Allen, who has already announced his candidacy.
http://whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com/2011...nce-continues/
Bookmarks